About the Book
WANT A DYNAMIC, HIGH-PAYING, SECURE JOB?
WHY SPEND YOUR CAREER TOILING IN OBSCURITY WHEN YOU COULD BE ON YOUR WAY TO BECOMING A POWER BROKER?
WHY IS THIS BOOK THE BEST FEDERAL CAREER GUIDE AVAILABLE?CONTENT: Believe it or not, other federal career guides are written by people who have never worked for the federal government or are long retired.
By contrast, How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job is written by a successful fed who is also a federal career coach and an experienced federal hiring manager. In her book, this leading career expert provides uniquely current, comprehensive and savvy guidance.
STYLE: How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job is written in a uniquely reader-friendly, entertaining style.
Finally, a federal career coach reveals how to really find openings, impress hiring managers, negotiate a top-dollar salary and accelerate your advancement. How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job provides the kind of practical, potentially pivotal advice that they never taught you in school, your friends don’t know and your boss won’t tell you.
HOW TO LAND A TOP-PAYING FEDERAL JOB IS THE ONLY CAREER GUIDE THAT:
- Simplifies, demystifies and defangs the entire job search process. This book clearly explains every step -- from finding openings to sealing an enviable deal.
- Gives the complete lowdown on how to negotiate a big fat federal salary (in any pay scale). (If you believe the myth that federal salaries are nonnegotiable, you could sacrifice thousands of dollars per year or more!)
- Divulges little known strategies for finding US and overseas openings. (Many of the best federal jobs are never advertised.)
- Directs undergrads, grad students, law students and recent grads to over 100 of the hottest, high-paying summer and year-round internship programs and management training programs located throughout the U.S. (Even if you're just starting your career, don't slave for free.)
- Explains how to give A+ interviews and how to craft irresistible cover letters, resumes, and application essays known as KSAs and ECQs. This book is loaded with examples that will enable you to STAND OUT FROM THE PACK!
- Describes fast-track hiring programs for minorities, veterans, women and people with disabilities.
- Tells how to avoid mistakes that doom most applications.
- Presents tips for mastering online applications. (Do you know, for example, how to correct errors in an application that you've already submitted?)
- Reveals time-tested strategies for quickly getting ahead.
- Features the latest federal jobs web sites.
About 40 percent of the federal workforce -- including a large percentage of federal executives -- will retire in the next ten years. As a result, new federal hiring programs for students, minorities, women and experienced professionals are popping up across the US faster than new CVS outlets are opening up.
The nation's largest employer fills over 200,000 high-paying jobs every year. Click for more about fantastic federal opportunities.
PLUS: Includes a CD that is loaded with templates, tip sheets, worksheets and checklists.
ACCELERATE YOUR ADVANCEMENT
How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job is the only federal career guide that explains how to generate career-boosting experience, earn a top reputation, amass key connections, get the credit you deserve, strategically make the right moves at the right time and quickly land promotions.
IT'S A GREAT READ, TOO
Other federal career guides are written with all the verve of the tax code. But this book motivates and entertains with confidence-building tips, success stories and humor.
WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR
Whether you're a student seeking an internship or an experienced professional seeking a Senior Executive Service job, How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job will arm you with career-boosting advice. This advice is just as useful to nonfeds seeking federal jobs as to current feds seeking promotions.
How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job is by Yale graduate Lily Whiteman; since 1991, she has served as a career coach, writer and hiring manager at six federal agencies, including the White House Conference on Aging and the Vice-President’s National Partnership for Reinventing Government.
How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job explains techniques successfully used by hundreds of Lily Whiteman's clients and provides advice from more than 100 hiring managers who serve as the gatekeepers to federal jobs.